YOU are your child's first and most important teacher and we want to partner with you throughout your child's first five years as you prepare them for school success. Use this guideline:
From birth-3 years old:
- Join an ECFE class! These classes will support you as a parent, offer parenting tools and a chance to network with other parents. Classes are offered day and evening throughout the school year and new sessions start in September and January. ECFE is offered by Mid State Education District and classes are held at Pioneer Elementary.
At 3 years old:
- Early Childhood Screening checks your child’s growth, development, and possible health or learning concerns in order to offer you additional support and resources if needed.
- Have your child screened around the age of three and a half years of age. It is required to attend Kindergarten but we have resources and support to help your child be ready for kindergarten.
At 4-5 years old:
- Enroll your child in a preschool class for additional social-emotional and academic development the year before Kindergarten.
- Learn about general expectations for entering Kindergarten. The best way to prepare your child is to read daily, give them chores and consistent expectations and limit screen time to one hour or less.
- If you do not live in the Pierz District, you will want to complete the Open Enrollment form in January of the year your child is to start.
- Watch for information about Kindergarten Round-Up to register in February of the year your child is to start.
Early Childhood Special Education:
Any child between birth and five years with a demonstrated developmental delay and who meets eligibility criteria in early childhood special education is eligible to receive free services. If you would like to make a referral for an evaluation or to discuss developmental concerns with an intake facilitator, please use the Help Me Grow link.
If you have questions or need additional resources, call our Community Education Director, Sarah Funk. Sarah has 25 years of experience in Early Childhood and can help with questions, big and small or help connect you to the right resource. 320-468-6458 ext 7